Most Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is XviD?
XviD is an open source MPEG-4 video codec designed for all users. Its main purpose is to compress video for quicker transmission over computer networks or for more efficient storage on computer disks. XviD can be treated as a ZIP archive for video. XviD erases information from video that is not important for human insight in order to attain very high compression rates keeping excellent visual quality.
2. What is an XviD Player?
An XviD Player is a simple video player. It can be connected with your XviD files so you just need to double click the file to play it. All basic functions like play, pause, seek, fullscreen exist in an Xvid Player.
One can make his own playlists and also have the option to save and edit. You can always built in search to find your favorite from the list of files. It is a total package yet simple to operate. So what are you waiting for, download the XviD Player and enjoy.
3. Is the Xvid Video Codec Free?
XviD Video Codec is a free, open-source MPEG-4 codec that’s exclusively designed to maximize compression with excellent video quality. Its algorithms eliminate the parts of a video file that don’t affect the viewer’s insight of quality, XviD is the closest thing to a ZIP archive tool for video.
4. Which platforms support XviD?
Xvid can be used on all platforms and operating systems for which the source code can be compiled by comparison to its competitor DivX Pro Codec which is proprietary software developed by DivX, Inc., is only available for a limited number of platforms.
5. What is the difference between XviD Codec and XviD Video Codec?
XviD Video Codec is much more than a codec: it’s a full package of tools with numerous interface. It can be associated with DivX, 3VIX, and other MPEG files. When you click XviD’s Start Menu folder you will be surprised to see a full menu of options, including both Encoder and Decoder Configuration tools, an Uninstaller, an update checker, a cool Mini Converter, and an advanced menu offering yet more tools, including a calculator and a stats tool.
6. What are the basic program features of XviD?
- easy to learn and simple user interface
- displaying movie in window and fullscreen, with zooming video window.
- access a recently opened movies list with possibility of adding and deleting items. Adding movie files by specified directory.
- auto-playing movies by playlist.
- auto-collecting information about video files to playlist
- auto-loading subtitle text files in TMP and MicroDVD formats, included in video file, or additional directory replaceable skins.
- showing transparent and framed subtitles.
- auto-breaking long lines of subtitles text, centering text lines, time shifting for subtitles.
- controlling program through command line.
- controlling through keyboard.
- controlling through external controller (joystick, gamepad, etc…).
- controlling through external program.
- …and much more!